Monday, November 4, 2019

Q & A in Social Media Forum



Recently the candidates to the 2019 City Council of Cape Canaveral were asked some
questions by a popular social media group on Facebook. Here are the questions and my answers.


1. My Q: AS a newcomer, what's the single biggest issue I should be paying attention to in
your (candidates) eyes? 

I want our city to make wise choices by using proper and up-to-date research methods.
This includes learning from past mistakes and looking for new solutions. My clean 
campaign; clean water, clean energy, clean environment encompasses many potential 
solutions to assist our community along the path to smart growth.


2. How will you help build a sense of cooperation, unity, and shared vision for the future
of our community with the rest of the City Council and the citizens of Cape Canaveral in
these times of divisiveness? 


I have rich experience and skills in negotiating between business and consumers with the
fine art of persuasion to find a meeting of the minds with issues. Even during my campaign,
I have an open line of communication with other candidates so we can campaign peacefully
together with respect. I deplore the current situation with council members arguing with one 
another at recent city council meetings. I firmly believe that I can be the peacemaker at our
city council meetings.

3. What programs would you like to add or improve to promote community interaction?

Online polling and short survey taking is something I am doing currently.
We can also set ti up so some can take them at the library for those
without home computers. Also on an experimental basis, I would like to promote townhome forums that can also be done virtually through computer applications like
Zoom or Net Meeting.

4. Question: How do they feel about mandatory diversity training for all government
positions?


Yes indeed also with sensitivity training, adding empathy and active listening skills for staff
members in not only verbal but written communication as well.


5. I would like to know what each candidate is committing to the upkeep and cleanliness of
the beach and what would be done to ensure the protection of the residential communities
to ensure this town does not turn into a commercial location to support the cruise ships as
a port of call.


 I attend and participate in beach clean-up events and pledge to myself to pick 3 pieces of
garbage whenever I visit the beach. I support yoga and mindful exercises that will
promote the values of a clean environment. Also, there is the talk of excursions within the
city and I currently research grant opportunities for preserving the few remaining historic
resources we have left.


6. Question: Do you believe there should be a special vote by the citizens to approve
non-critical spending where the spends exceed a predefined threshold, and if so, what
dollar threshold would you recommend be set? 


Yes, I’m open to hearing what other council members have to say about threshold amounts.
I believe in home rule, democracy, and transparency in our business dealings.


7. Are any of the candidates interested in enforcing residents, property owners, to keep
properties clean? 


Yes, but also finding out why they are not clean. Is the owner old and perhaps
need some help? Are they absentee landlords and not informed of how their tenants
are keeping their responsibility? Goes to my main precept, research the issues to find the
wisest solutions.


8. I'd like to hear about how each candidate will handle the city's fiscal responsibility and the
wishes of the citizens.


 I will use my research skills not only for both of these questions but for the other questions too. There are two main components of market research; one is Quantitative
research where one takes surveys of say 1000 people and then see what the general
consensus would be, and the other is Qualitative Research where experts are interviewed
in various fields. It is imperative to have a balance between the two because one
without the other can lead to unwise decisions, especially when it comes to financial
decision making and with public safety, Qualitative Research also includes learning
from past mistakes. Not with a purpose to blame anybody, but to learn from these
mistakes that has cost the tax-payers serious money.

9. What ideas do you have to combat the drug problem in Cape Canaveral?


Research the drug problem we have; what kind of drugs, are we talking about?: cannabis,
cocaine heroin? I think it is important we look at each drug separately and come up with the
most appropriate penalty, level of police action and treatments.


10. What will you do for the abandoned, unfinished and blighted properties in
Cape Canaveral, not just A1A, but in residential areas?


Research grants money, introduce clean energy initiatives such as a community solar
farm that can reduce utility bills that will result in more monies for redevelopment. Research
mixed-use zoning projects to introduce new architecturally pleasing properties into areas
that were commercially zoned. I’ve already started the latter with a mixed-use project in
North Miami Beach, with a seat on the council I will be able to do even more research.

11. As the city continues to grow, we see a significant increase in traffic. My concern is with the visibility at intersections for bicyclists and pedestrians. Most visibility of our intersections is blocked by overgrown vegetation! Next time you drive through Cape Canaveral, take a look as you approach any of our intersections. Are there plans to address this safety concern?

Most certainly, I want to research why this has not been done before and cure the issue that
caused it to be overlooked. Does the maintenance schedule need to be increased due to
overgrowth? Again Yes, as a bicyclist and pedestrian I recognize this problem needs to be
taken care of, especially due to our city’s vision statement that we are to have a “walkable,
bikeable neighborhood.”


Thank you for taking the time to read this doc on my thoughts on improving 
our city.  Don’t hesitate to contact me either by email, social media or a 
phone call if you have other questions or comments.I enjoy talking to other 
members who have ideas to improve our city. 

Remember you have two votes on November 5th, I hope that I have earned one of them 
with you.


Raymond Osborne
November 4th, 2019
321-345-1715

ray@ramondosborne.com

No comments:

Post a Comment